10. Mr. Greenwood: A class full of random knowledge you never knew you wanted to learn. Plenty of pictures and videos to reinforce what is being taught in the class, not to mention all the crazy side stories that Mr. Greenwood tells, and plus a dissection! Taking either Medical Terminology or Anatomy each is both more than enjoyable elective.
9. Mrs. Porter: Taking a foreign language sucks, but taking Spanish with Mrs. Porter isn’t a class but more of an experience. Class is always something new with constant engaging activities. Mrs. Porter also takes time after school to work with students and help them in their school work.
8. Mr. Clegg: The man has the most eloquent speech out of all the teachers. Each class is exciting and informative. Mr. Clegg also slaves over the school paper to make sure it is perfect. His unique personality meshes well with the students of MV. Stay tuned for his new EP “Platinum Clauses.”
7. Mr. Brown: He’s one of those teachers that’s completely unique. There’s not another Mr. Brown. He gives off more of a “big brother” vibe than he does a “superior teacher” one. Just like Mr. Fieldsted and Mr. Taylor - Mr. Brown is going to teach you important life lessons. His class is also more like real life than any other class. He won’t hold your hand through everything, and neither will your boss when you have a job. Mr. Brown provides you with the materials you need to complete a task or learn a skill, and a very brief bit of instruction, and then leaves it up to you to both learn on your own, and communicate with peers to learn what you need to. And if you’re really struggling, then he’ll step in and teach you. It’s a very unique teaching style, but I loved it, and I loved my experience in his class.
6. Coach Blevins: Does anyone not like Coach Blevins? Taking P.E or weight training has never been more enjoyable. Blevins isn’t your typical P.E teacher who is out of shape and tells everyone to take yet another lap. Class is always fun and the atmosphere is very positive. Blevins truly believes in each of his students letting them reach new levels of physical accomplishment.
5. Mr. Fieldsted: This is another one of those classes that’s not only about learning the school material. It’s also about having fun, and becoming a better person. Ever wanted to be a millionaire? Take this class. Ever wanted a fun relaxed classroom that you still learn in? Take this class. Ever wanted to learn those things you’ll need to know as an adult, but nobody ever teaches you? Take this class. Mr. Fieldsted and his class are gold. Don’t let the nonchalant environment fool you though. It’s relaxed but if you’re not keeping up, your grade may keep you from having the good time you could be.
4. Mr. Fong: Plain and simple this class is scarring and that is why every student who takes psychology absolutely loves it. Mr. Fong engrains his passion for psychology into at least 70% of his students. The class is both very informative and very very entertaining, learning about what makes humans act the way we do is interesting on it’s own - Mr. Fong makes it fun too. Graduates of MVHS still look back with great fondness on psychology with Mr. Fong.
3. Mr. Carpenter: One of the things that makes a teacher great is knowledge of their subject. Some teachers just teach what they learned in college, and what’s in the curriculum. Mr. Carpenter is still learning. That’s the mark of a master teacher. Mr Carpenter is highly understanding of student situations. It’s not a class for the weak-willed though. It’s hard, but if you can focus, and stay engaged you’ll never learn more about history or hard work anywhere else.
2. Mr. Taylor: The love and joy that Mr.Taylor has for teaching makes his choir classes extremely enjoyable. Not only can he forge anyone into a great singer, (with the time of course) being in his class will forge you into a great person. With hundreds of life lessons to teach, a myriad of learning and leadership opportunities to offer, and the discipline that being in a serious performing arts class teaches - Being in Mr. Taylor’s class is not an opportunity you should pass up.
1. Mr. Jackman: Quite simply you will never forget what you learn in his class. Ever wanted to see a human brain? Health science is the class for you. Ever wanted to masticate a wiener? This class is for you. Want to blow up a giant gummy bear? Seriously take this class. But in all seriousness you will learn more about health and the human body than in any other class. Sadly most don’t know this class exists so consider this your PSA, if you have an elective take this class you will never regret it.